ANNOTATIONS AND ASSIGNMENTS
TO THE EASTER PROCLAMATION
POBLACHT NA H EIREANN
The Provisional Government of the Irish Republic to the Prople of Ireland
- Summarize each of the six paragraphs in your own words. Afterwards formulate one
question for each paragraph which is answered.
- Look at the timeline of historic events in Ireland and interpret the sentence "In
every generation the Irish people have asserted their right to national freedom and
sovereignty; six times during the last three hundred years they have assertzed it to
- Discuss whether this armed rising was justified. Give reasons.
- Analyze the tone and the style of the Proclamation of the Irish Republic in 1916.
Poblacht nah Eiremann - Irish Gaelic: The Republic of Ireland; summon -
to order officially, to tell or request people to come to; Irish Republican Brotherhood
- organization founded in 1858 to fight for Homerule, also called Fenian Movement; Irish
Volunteers - paramilitary force
to Martina's Index